Monday, April 25, 2016

Adoption and Dolphin Tale: One Mom’s Review

Disclaimer:  Our family doesn’t own a television and it’s possible, due to being screen deprived, my children are more impacted by audio/visual media than is typical.  Also, I’ve never publicly reviewed any product before and I’m not being paid to review these movies. Winter and Hope’s stories have profoundly impacted our family and I can’t help but share.


Photo Source







A few months ago, I stumbled upon the movie Dolphin Tale on Amazon. By the time I had finished reading the most helpful reviews, I had tears streaming down my face. While I adore my two sons who entered our family through adoption, I am constantly searching for ways to love them in ways they can accept. After reading the reviews, I purchased Dolphin Tale because I was convinced that watching it with my children was going to be a way to love them well. After learning Dolphin Tale 2 was also based on a true story, I purchased it and both movies have become favorites for all of my children. For reasons deeper than I probably even understand, all of my children identify with Dolphin Tale characters and the movies encourage them as they desire to live bravely.

Dolphin Tale is based on the true story of Winter, a bottlenose dolphin, who lost her tail and survives. Her story continues in Dolphin Tale 2, and there, we are also introduced to Hope- a young dolphin facing her own obstacles. When our family watched the first movie together, I saw a beautiful story about Winter who overcame physical obstacles and about relationships forged by a team committed to her good. After my nine-year-old enthusiastically asked to watch it for the third time, I began watching a different story as I watched it with him:  A story where Winter lost her mom, like he lost his first mom.

He watches the movie again and again noting Winter is OKAY.  


He feels this obstacle. Winter’s happy. She has a “family.” She enjoys her family. Her unusual “family” clearly adores her.
As I watch Dolphin Tale with another of my sons, I’m reminded that, against all odds, Winter swims. She swims well. We watch how hard Winter works just like my son is also daily overcoming obstacles due to his early childhood experiences and losses. He tackles those challenges with enthusiasm while donning a smile capable of lighting the darkest cavern.


We love watching Winter do the same- together.


Even our oldest biological son connects with the Dolphin Tale movies. As we watch Dolphin Tale together, we watch Sawyer- a child who didn’t ask for his life challenges and who is lacking specific direction- find friendship and family in unlikely places. As Sawyer invests heavily in others, it’s as if a weight is lifted from his shoulders and he’s free to confidently be himself.


As this child watches Dolphin Tale, he wants to be brave and unaware of self like Sawyer.


Also, because Winter is a dolphin, rather than a human, her story isn’t too overwhelming for our family to connect with. My children are not dolphins. None of them have been “rescued.” The story hits close enough to home without anyone having to relive traumas each time they view it.


As our family connects with Winter’s story, we are all inspired and energized to keep going especially because life is full of challenges. I’d recommend this movie for any human being because the message is one of overcoming, teamwork, grit, and the value of unlikely friendships. It’s about brokenness being the avenue to deep connections that eventually lead to unexpected healing. It’s a story about how the “giver” becomes the “receiver” of intangible gifts that far outweigh what he was ever capable of giving in the first place.


I’m better off remembering all of the above, and it is a gift that these movies are presented in a manner that is healthy for our entire family to enjoy together. As we watch together, we connect with each other.


Each of my children’s responses to Winter’s story tells me that my initial hunch while reading Amazon reviews was correct:  Sharing the Dolphin Tale movies with my children is one tangible way I can show my love for them and they can accept it.


Which is Priceless.


I share the story of our amazing kids meeting a very special dolphin HERE.


15 comments :

  1. Interesting how each child sees a different aspect of the story. Sounds like it touched all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love media that speaks to a wide variety with people with a broad spectrum of experiences. In our family, it's rare to find one movie we can enjoy together.

      Delete
  2. We loved Dolphin Tale, my daughter is adopted too and I thought the themes of the movie were so wonderful. Love this inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for connecting! The movies were special enough for our family to plan a 1 week, 3000 mile round trip vacation to Florida to see Hope and Winter. It was well worth it.

      Delete
  3. So sweet, Nicole. And this--"one tangible way I can show my love for them and they can accept it"--is helpful to parents who come to parenting in various ways, because isn't this what we're all trying to do? Thanks for focusing me this morning...will now try to show my love for my tween and teen daughters in ways they accept this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Elizabeth! Because I only have sons, I rarely think about what it would be like to connect with tween/teen daughters. You're right- we're all trying to love each other in ways the other person actually feels the love. In our family, this has been more of a puzzle than I had expected (FAR beyond reading and highlighting passages from "the Five Love Languages"). It is incredible when we finally do find ways to love each other well. My hope is it becomes more natural. But, then we haven't yet hit the teen years.

      Delete
  4. My kids enjoyed the movies so much they made us travel a good hour to see the Clearwater Aquarium and Dolphin Tale exhibit on our last Orlando, Florida trip. They are such heartwarming stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it worth the trip? I love how my children now feel strongly about the motto: Rescue, Rehab, Release (and Inspire).

      Of course, they may never enjoy going to the zoo again.

      Delete
  5. That is wonderful! Such a beautiful depiction of how this sweet movie impacted your family. #lifeislovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched the movie trailers, and they looks like lovely family movies. I'm sure most people won't read much into them, but I like your interpretation better. Our Ben is still a little too young for them, but I'll go ahead and get them anyway, I'll tell mummy they're for the baby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them, Diego. My husband and I preview all movies before our children watch them just in case there's an unexpected trigger. When we watched the first Dolphin Tale, we expected to suffer through a cheesy film. We both looked at each other and said, "Wow! That was a great movie!" when it was over. It's one I don't mind the children watching over and over and I'll watch with them on a rainy day. My three-year-old loves it so one of these days you'll be able to watch it with Ben. Always nice to blame the child for our interest in family features :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a gem. I'm always looking for such ways to connect, also, so thanks for this idea! I love that you say this, Nicole: "I am constantly searching for ways to love them in ways they can accept." Intuitive and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished