Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Coffee Colored Sofa

When Matt and I were married, I chose a sofa that distinctly matches the coffee stains I anticipated making. It’s one of the few decisions I’ve made in my adult life that I’m absolutely confident I will never regret.


Because, I LOVE coffee. And I spill coffee. A lot.


Because I’m imperfect, there is always work to do. Work that will hopefully result in me being a better human being. One who is such a mess, must have priorities to make any progress. [tweet this] My priorities are to increase my patience, learn how to care for and identify with people I think I have little in common with, and learn how to best share the gifts I have with the world (despite my obvious messiness). Spending my energy learning how not to spill coffee only distracts from those. And it’s true. I never was and never will be a pageant queen. That ship has sailed. I’ll also never be a traditional stay-at-home-mom with a pristine home. And I’ll never be the working mom who blow dries her hair (or showers) everyday. Never is a strong word, but I say never because those things are completely inconsistent with what I want most in the world. “Looking together,” in my opinion, is always an illusion of some sort and illusions only distract me from connecting with other human beings. Doing my “nevers” would be tragic, because they so obviously are inconsistent with my priorities. [By the way, I realize your “nevers” and my “nevers” don’t likely match and I’m not judging you if you DO go to work each day with perfectly blow dried hair or if your house looks like a museum. Some people do these things while fulfilling their purpose. I just can’t. Which says a lot about me and absolutely nothing about you.]


While some are great at “looking together,” none of us truly have it together. And, truthfully, the most memorable moments of my life are moments where I’ve connected with others on the common ground of messiness. THESE are the moments I would not trade.


None of this is about changing my perception and pretending the imperfections don’t exist. For me, it’s about gracefully embracing my most obvious unimportant imperfections so they are less of a distraction from the things that really matter. The coffee colored sofa consistently blends one of my unimportant imperfections into our life. Due to our sofa color, I feel less messy and our house has a calm tone, even though, it’s truly gross (but it smells delightful). While I’ll admit, I think “peace” and “comfort” are ideals that far too often become false idols, “calm” and “consistent” are, in our unusual family, worth aiming for. With calm, we, very messy people, are better able to focus on connecting with each other. For us, a little calm goes a long way.


While marriage is hard work, raising children is beautiful and messy, and raising children through adoption is beautiful and complicated in more ways than I could possibly mention here, sometimes it’s nice to console myself with the fact I’ve got at least one thing going for me.

Eleven years ago, I chose the right color sofa.

18 comments :

  1. Life is a beautiful mess. Thank you for sharing your thoughts & words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant!! Except for one major flaw: you are so gorgeous you make "looking together" seem effortless. My version of a not-showered, messy, exhausted look makes me look like a street urchin next to you. You don't need to blow dry your hair every day to look together. You are beautiful inside and out every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, friend! I have yet to see you look anything like a street urchin and I'm certain I never will, but the thought makes me smile.

      Delete
  3. That is one of the smartest things ever. I wish I had bought a coffee colored sofa. Or maybe a hot fudge colored sofa - so I have something to aspire to.

    Nice work Nicole. One of the best things we do as women is sharing our thoughts, feelings and beliefs. You are right at the front of the line. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot Fudge! What was I thinking??? THAT is an idea worth exploring. Thanks for your thoughts, Donna.

      Delete
  4. Wonderfully written first post! I'm looking forward to reading more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you. That's all ;) P.S. We have a latte colored sofa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it. If I knew how to make a latte, I may have done the same. Love you and it is great to see you here.

      Delete
  6. Loved this post. Isn't it nice to know who you can and cannot pretend to be?! Marriage and children are indeed hard work and sooooo beautifully rewarding (and complicated). Thanks for your vulnerability because it gives us permission to be imperfectly our true selves. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and responding, friend. It is such a blessing to meet acknowledging our messiness. Laughter is more common when we're our true selves and laughter is so good!

      Delete
  7. I wrote an entire thesis that disappeared in the ethos of cyberspace. I can't even begin to recall it, except that you are living art, Nicole, and I treasure you. Your messiness is perfection in my eyes. I love you and can't wait to hear your thoughts. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you so much, Sarah and I was so sad to see your comment got flagged as spam. I just found it and it made my heart smile. Wish I could have read the first one!

      Delete
  8. Love this. Can't wait to read more of your writing. We all need to see how parenting looks, and it's great to read when we're not able to hang out and see it in person. We miss you guys! :) Karna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karna! We miss you too. One of these days we ARE going to get together. I just know it.

      Delete
  9. I think we all try to look like we have it together - but we all have our days when we're glad our sofa doesn't show the spills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to connect with that understanding, Leanne. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished