Thursday, January 12, 2017

Adoption: This Mom Six Years Later





Last weekend I went to my favorite hardware store all by myself- which is no small thing. While making my order I noticed that each time I gave the man behind the counter a color name, he immediately jotted down the coordinating paint number.


Without thinking about it, I commented on how impressive that was to me.


He smiled and humbly attempted to explain how memorizing 3500 paint numbers is really no big deal.


The interaction was natural. I used complete sentences. And the Benjamin Moore expert didn’t even think I was busting a move on him!


I returned to my van beaming like an idiot and thinking, “That was the regular me back there.”


For six years, I’ve been looking at a stranger in the mirror. I’ve felt crushed and, much of the time, debilitated by the constant pressure of getting to know my children so I can learn how to love them well. Under this stress, I’ve neglected many of my most basic values, such as;  cooking, showering, and remembering to eat. My worries have been choking me to the point where I’ve had trouble interacting with the world around me. My listening skills have been severely impacted and, at times, my concerns have been shouting at me so loudly, they’ve drowned out friends I’m trying to be present with. I’ve even rudely interrupted friends sharing their deepest feelings without being aware until a week later (at which point my face has flushed with shame and I haven’t known what to do with myself). I’ve gone from feeling as energetic as I was as an eighteen-year-old to feeling lethargic and elderly. During these years, not only have I consistently misread social cues, I’ve also sent unintended messages via my erratic behavior.


Eventually, I learned the best way I could function was to avoid every human interaction I could avoid. Otherwise I knew I would unintentionally hurt somebody or be wounded myself.


A few years ago, one of my sons was regressing significantly in his classroom, but when we did work together at home, he was making natural progress. There was no comparison between his school work and homework.


Since I was confused about his performance, I called a professional- a friend of mine who is brilliant and has a special education background. Her main point will always stick with me:  A child with a trauma history can look brilliant when relaxed and simple-minded when experiencing stress.


Sadly, it took a few more years before my head was clear enough to figure out who was the most stressed out person in our house:  me.  I have been the one appearing dimwitted.


Today, I know better how to love my four children and my husband in the context of our unusual family than I did over the last few years. As a result, I’m less stressed and I feel more like myself.


So, as mundane as it seems, my hardware store story is something I’m celebrating.


And I’m looking forward to recognizing myself again real soon.



Today is Introduction Day at the Adoption Talk Link Up. You can learn more about why I blog here and about the name of my blog here. I’ll look forward to connecting with you and hope you take the time to introduce yourself!

NoBohnsAboutIt




11 comments :

  1. Popping over from Erin's Adoption Talk. I understand your hardware story - it's all about the little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Lynn. The little things add up and are actually really big. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love this post because of the arc. The journey into the deeep, scary, forest, and emerging into the sunlight again.

    Here's to much more of the regular you emerging as you all heal and take care of each other, creating a surplus of energy instead of a deficit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! You're right about the energy. For the past two weeks I've been energetically waking up an hour earlier than I have over the past two years.

      What a gift!

      Delete
  3. I really connect with this post - it totally reminds me of me, especially during the whole first year after adopting our son when I was a total disaster. We're home 3 years now and I can really appreciate your comment about learning how to love in the context of the family your in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If only I had known where to begin loving and respecting my children when they first came home, we would be in a much stronger place. Looking back, I can see where I made mistakes, but I can't clearly articulate specifically what we could have done to make the transition more smooth.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your update my dear Nicole. It resonates with me deeply, and it shows me an even clearer way to pray for you, Matt, and the boys. I love the regular you. I love any you. I am in my 13th year of adoption. As glorious as it can be, the last few days I realize I am so very exhausted from the last round of tantruming. And a middle school gal sure can tantrum effectively. The verbal arrows have caused the most heart bruising, and I am still recovering. And then there was the moment last night when she asked me to rub her back after tucking her in. I have to remember to allow my stress level to dissipate as much as I can as well, so I can love her even more and listen to her heart, as my own heart rebounds. Tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Sarah! I love you too! You have always modeled doing difficult things to make connections with your lovely girl and that is a beautiful thing. Don't you wish there were a word different from "tantrum" so other folks would understand what exactly we're talking about? I do know, however, and I can only imagine how exhausted you are after those instances. It is difficult (for me) to lower my stress without getting some of my actual needs met (space, food, quiet, etc...). Hope you are taking care of yourself so you can be less stressed. I miss you!

      Delete
    4. Yes, "tantrum" is not really the word. You are absolutely correct. It's more of an event or happening, of enormous proportion! I miss you dear, and you are all in my prayers daily. oxo

      Delete
  4. I am a follower of your blog... I hopped over here from Erin's link up, blessings as you raise your family for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sandra! I enjoy reading your blog when I find the time (which hasn't been often lately...bummer). Blessings to you and your family.

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished